Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Steel Cut Oat Pilaf

OAT PILAF

One of our favorite go to recipes as
a side dish is Steel Cut Oat Pilaf the
recipe is quick and simple. This is a
perfect side dish with a taste similar
to stuffing but much better.






1 large Sweet Onion, thinly sliced (approx. 1/3 cup)
1 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup Oats, Steel Cut
2 tsp Parsley Flakes
1 pinch ground Pepper
1 pinch Sea Salt
1-3/4 cups Broth (Vegetable, Chicken, Beef)

Directions:
In a 10" or 12" nonstick frying pan, over medium-high heat, cook onion in butter until onions limp, about 5 to 10 minutes; stir often. Add oats and stir for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat, then simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally add parsley flakes about 2-3 minutes before oats are finished cooking. Adjust with salt and pepper if needed.

Makes 6 servings.

*personal note: I add toasted almonds to mine at the end for a little more crunch and I adjust the oil according to my dietary need.

Calories 156.7
Total Fat 8.3 g
    Saturated 2.4 g
    Poly 0.6 g
    Mono 4.2 g
Cholesterol 6.5 mg
Sodium 320.2 mg
Potassium 143.0 mg
Carbohydrate 19.1 g
   Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
   Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 4.4 g



We had a good day at the office today and I got out right on time. Last night I was thinking about Steel Cut Oat Pilaf with toasted almonds I missed having is so had it planned for dinner. As soon as I walked through the archway door I could see dinner cooking on the grill. When I walked into the kitchen I could see the balance of the meal. The patio plants were watered and the dog walked, I immediately asked what might be wrong.

What a treat to come home to a nice surprise like that, not bad food choices either. I loved the garlic/lemon scallops and marinated steak medallions. We also had grilled summer squash and onion but the biggest surprise was that on the stove was the holy grail.. Steel Cut Oat Pilaf with toasted almonds I can't believe he read my mind like that, Amazing..

While dinner was cooking I had time to weed the blueberries and check out the flower gardens.

THE WORKOUT P90X Total Body Plus
The workout opens up to nice stretching and warming exercises yogaX style with pushups. Combo moves that work your whole body and really get your heart rate up there. How is it that a workout can be tough and fun all at the same time.

No comments: