Saturday, January 13, 2007

Winter Broccoli Soup - Oxygen #52

I have always had a thing for broccolli soup and remember the first time I made this soup fondly. It is quick, easy and ready in what seems like seconds. I don't know if you keep parsnips in the house but I do as I like the hint of horseradish this vegetable offers a dish. I have become enamored with making my own soups and this is a fun one to try. 


INGREDIENTS:
• 1 large celery rib, thinly sliced
• 1 medium bunch broccoli, florets only, coarsely chopped
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 small parsnips, peeled and sliced
• 4 cups fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2-3 tsp. lemon juice, optional
• Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. In a deep saucepan, place celery, broccoli, onion, parsnips, broth and pepper. Cover tightly and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
2. In a blender, puree soup until velvet-smooth. Serve in bowls or pour into mugs. Garnish with parsley if desired.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE:
Calories: 106
Fat: 1 g
Protein: 6 g
Carbs: 6 g
Makes 4 Servings

No comments: