When we are young it seems that the present is where it is at and worrying about the future is for later on when it gets here. That theory works while in your 20’s and into the 30’s but suddenly reality sets in when you realize that youth is falling to the wayside, 40 is coming sooner than expected and those carefree days of the past are gone by. A run to the mailbox exhausts you; the mirror shows the results of the carefree eating style in the form of added weight. Your diet of processed foods and lack of exercise has left your skin blotchy, hair limp, a fully rounded belly and we won’t mention the cottage cheese like droopy derriere you have going on. Those fun flirty vacations wearing a bikini, remember those, now you wouldn’t be caught dead in anything less than sweats and a tee-shirt. At one time you loved having chicken wings as appetizers but now you have bat wings on your arms that flap, what is a person to do?
A full on fitness and health routine can seem daunting and overpowering; diets are limited by time, are dreary and most people quit after a short period of time. Studies show weight lost by extreme diets is regained plus more once the diet is over. Why diet, instead you can make some lifestyle changes that will repay you over time, a great way to save towards your future. Start small and work your way up to eating healthier, just as mentioned earlier with your financial fitness. When it comes to nutrition, which is reported to be 90% of the fitness equation, make one change today that will improve your tomorrow, work on that change until it becomes habit then make another change, repeat. Some of the things you can change would be:
- Cutting out sugary drinks
- Removing processed foods from your daily intake
- Have a healthy breakfast every day
- Increase your fiber and water intake
- Don’t snack after dinner
- Make healthy snacks available like cut veggies, nuts and whole fruit
- Cooking more at home without being afraid to peel veggies and trying new things, clean eating
- Take a few minutes to plan your meals for the week, you will save money at the market and will be better able to stay on track.
- Shop the outer perimeter of the store as all the processed foods are on the interior aisles.
- Make your lunch and mid day snacks the day before, not eating out every day is a huge money and calorie saver
Avoiding costly medications as we age, not having chronic illness, not having to buy new wardrobes because we have grown out of our old ones and the all around good feelings about being fit and healthy is a wonderful and exercise can beat depression too. Of course with anything there is no guarantee but working on your fitness is certainly a way to tilt the percentages in your directions and you will look great and feel excellent while doing it.