Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Self Motivation and Overcoming my Inner Fears

So many people are running 5k races and then moving on to marathons, I would love to take that first step but feel so intimidated.  I know that I can do it but I am allowing my inner scary cat voice too much control.  Last night I watched the Biggest Loser and was so inspired by what these people had accomplished in such a short period of time.  As I watched the competitors it dawned on me how much they had overcome to reach that point in their lives and that if they could do it so could I.

I don't run consistently but I know I can.  I have a recumbent bike at home, I typically was winded riding at a level 3, I then started a new cardio program in June of 2010.  After a few months on the new program, which included plyometrics and HIIT training, I noticed level three on the bike was much easier.  Now I can ride between level 5 and 6 with ease, I had to put my increased cardio fitness to a test in August of 2010. 

I hadn't run outside in over a year so I laced up my shoes and started out on my first run of the season.   I had my new droid phone and downloaded the Cardio Trainer app for tracking, once it was all set it took off.  My first run in over a year was 3.4 miles in 34 minutes, not stellar but I did it.  When I told a friend what I had done she looked at me and said I had run enough to have done a 5K, I hadn't thought of that and was floored.

Knowing I can run a 5K was a huge thing for me as I was letting the fear of the task overcome my good senses.  I have yet to have completed one event but that is on my goal list for 2011.

2 comments:

Footdr69 said...

You, my friend, bring me such JOY!!! You can and WILL complete a 5k in 2011!!!! And YES, it's only the TIP of the ICEBERG!!! ;-)
Love Ya lots!
Dr. Mo (@FitInMyHeart)

Anonymous said...

First of all I didn't even know you had a blog! Second of all - yes, you CAN. Awesome....believe!