Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Aging well into your future

I have just read the perfect quote ...

"Through constant familiarity, we can definitely establish new behavior patterns, using our tendency to form habits to our advantage. If we make a steady effort, I think we can overcome any form of negative conditioning and make positive changes in our lives. But we need to remember that genuine change doesn't happen overnight. ---The Dalai Lama"

 
Photo via: Spectrum Wellness
Keeping fit and working your muscles is just as important as you get older than it is when you are young, but for different reasons.  When you are young keeping fit is all about looking good and hitting the beach with those rippling abs, as we age keeping fit is all about remaining as mobile and active as possible into our golden years.  Our bodies have a harder time retaining muscle tissue as we become older, after age 60 we start to lose muscle tissue at a faster rate, strength training can change that and you can start at any age.

Look around your next family reunion and take notice of those older family members that are still mobile and active, chances are they are the ones that keep doing something every day.   I have family members on both sides of the exercise gamut, without quoting a study I can tell which are active or not just by casual observation.  The older people that remained physically active were mobile and agile into their 90's while the non physically fit family members have been sickly and handicapped, some as early as their late 50's.  As far back as I can remember I knew which model I would follow in my life and I know that has paid off based on my level of health as I approach my 50's.  Even if you hadn't lived the most fit and active lifestyle it is never too late to change course and get started.  

For more insight into fitness as we age please read this interesting news article from NPR: "Seniors Can Still Bulk up On Muscle by Pressing Iron"

No comments: