Thursday, October 01, 2009

5 Secrets Conventional Cleaning Product Manufacturers Don't Want You to Know


Christopher Gavigan

Author and CEO - Healthy Child Healthy World
Posted April 29, 2009 | 11:47 AM (EST)

I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I remember the day many years ago when I was cleaning the shower in my childhood home (as a teen the bathroom duties were my assignment) and wondered what exactly I was cleaning with. I knew the colors and shapes of the different bottles I grabbed from under the kitchen sink where we stored our arsenal of household cleaning products. I knew their distinct smells (which I had grown up associating with the smell of "clean."), and knew light-headedness was sure to follow. I even knew their individual superpowers (the blue one left the mirrors streak-free, the foamy one made the porcelain glisten). But what were they? What was in them? How did they do what they did?

I pored over the label looking for the list of ingredients and found nothing but a crude list of warnings. Do not take internally. Flammable. Warning. Keep away from children. The last one struck me. I'd been using those products for years to help my mom keep the house clean (getting it dirty was largely my brothers' and my fault). I knew the warning was aimed at preventing small children from drinking the stuff, and I only started using it when I was old enough to know better, but it still seemed counter-intuitive. These products were meant for use all over the house. Every surface and textile was regularly sprayed, wiped, rinsed, or rubbed with one of these chemical concoctions. If they were as toxic as their labels implied, why were we using them where we ate, bathed, slept and played?


Read more at: Huffington Post

Now you know why I use the ActiveIon..  Better for my family, our pets and myself.

No comments: