Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Food Sources

I don't know about everyone reading this but growing up in our family most of our food was home cooked.  This is the same process my mother used to feed her family and the same I use for mine.  There is a clear difference in how I chose and prepare foods compared to my mother however.   My mothers cooking has always been very good and I certainly do enjoy at meal at my mothers but her ingredients and mine are different now.  Growing up we ate mostly the standard meats and potatoes, of course growing up on a gentlemens farm it was as field raise and organic.  Even the desserts, there were always desserts, were homemade with simple ingredients, we even made our own butter.  

The events of my childhood and our eating patterns helped form who I am today.  One of those events was being told that I was very heavy from the waist down, a perfect pear shape.  It was due to me always being the smallest kid in class, still able to wear my kindergarten outfit when I was a freshman in high school.  I was sick of being picked on and decide to get bigger and did it the only way I knew how, food.  So it started as a freshman that I endulged in my eating with desserts and lots of butter.  It didn't take long for me to grow but unfortunately it was in width, the height would come later.  I am predisposed to gain in my lower body and gain I did, so much so that when I graduated high school and was told I had a fat back side it floored me.  That was the beginning for me, that was when I decided I needed to shed the fat that followed me around daily.  

It was Cory Everson on the cover of a magazine that started my interest in fitness and weight training.  How could someone not want the perfect figure that she had gracing the cover of this men's magazine.  I wanted to look just like her and tried to learn as much as I could about health and fitness.  I read everything I could get my hands on and did what I could to work that peardown to manageable size, but I never could, at least in the beginning.  

The fitness magazines told me a lot about workouts and nutrition and I tried to be fit but I was living in a small town with no gym, living with a husband with no interest in me being fit.   We didn't have the finances that would allow me to join a gym even if I could find one and the budget was too tight for healthier foods.  It wasn't until that married crumbled and I was living on my own in a new much larger town that this passion started to unfold and I started to really learn about how my body worked, digestion and nutrition.  The first book that I found about nutrition was "The Bodybuilder's Nutrition book" by Franco Columbo.  This is were I learned about how I body processes foods and started my desire to continue learning about nutrients and how I came to be who I am today. 

Today

No comments: